The Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA) has outlined operational guidelines for theatres and cinemas in the country.
The operational guidelines follow the removal of restrictions on their operations.
Theatres and cinemas in the country have not been operating for some time now since the outbreak of COVID-19.
READ ALSO: HIV Has Caused Me So Much Pain And Rejection – Joyce Dzidzor Mensah Cries
A statement copied to Zionfelix.net detailed the measures that they have to put in place.
While the Ghana Health Service will provide capacity building as support, GTA has stated that they will make sure that these guidelines are followed even if they have to seek assistance from the Ghana Police Service.
Read the full statement below:
OPERATIONAL GUIDELINES FOR THEATRES AND CINEMA HALLS
Cinema Halls/Theatres shall operate with the following enhanced hygiene and safety protocols:
- Cinema/Theatre establishments must train in-house stewards who will be responsible for COVID-19 protocols. Name and contacts must be submitted to the Ghana Tourism Authority. The Ghana Health Service will provide capacity building as support.
- Only Cinema/Theatre Establishments licensed by the Ghana Tourism Authority shall operate
- The premiering of movies at any other venue must be approved by the Ghana Tourism Authority
- Display of “No Masks No Entry” signage to ensure mandatory wearing of face masks before entry and upon entry at all times.
- Display of “No Eating, No Drinking at the Cinema Hall/Theatre
- Display of notification “Go for Your COVID-19 Vaccine” at the entrance
- Display of notification on COVID-19 precautionary measures
- Display of contact details of an Ambulance service and the nearest health facility
C. ENTRANCE/EXIT PROTOCOLS
- A clear instruction on entry/exit of patrons must be made available
- Stewards must coordinate the entry and exit of patrons
- Mandatory checking of temperature of both employees and patrons before entry by trained stewards
- Vital details of all patrons must be taken i.e., name, telephone number and temperature record to monitor attendance and temperature of patrons as well as aid contact tracing if the need arises
D. TICKETING & PAYMENTS
- Electronic pre-booking must be encouraged.
- Use of POS devices or electronic payments (e.g. MOMO, Vodafone cash etc.) must be encouraged.
E. IN-HALL PROTOCOLS
- Sensitization on COVID-19 precautionary measures must be done before every movie/drama show
- Duration of a movie/drama show shall not exceed two (2) hours
- Duration between movie/drama sessions shall be within a minimum of thirty (30) minutes
- Enhanced ventilation must be maintained
- Regular disinfection of the interior of cinema hall/theatre (In-between movie/drama show).
- Provision of hand sanitizer dispensers at vantage points
- All staff and patrons must wear face masks
- Face masks shall be made available to patrons
- Intermittent reminders on wearing of face masks must be ensured by stewards
F. SOCIAL DISTANCING
- Floor signs must be placed to maintain physical distancing particularly at the entrance
- Ensure adequate spacing for seating to maintain physical distancing of at least 1 metre
- Physical distancing shall be maintained at the lounge
G. CLEANING PROTOCOLS
- Provision of adequate hand-washing apparatus (running water, veronica buckets, soap together with tissues and 70% alcohol-based sanitizer)
- Adequate, spacious and covid-19 friendly washrooms must be provided.
- Thorough cleaning in the washrooms must be done intermittently.
- Disinfect all surfaces at the cinema hall/theatre e.g. floors, door knobs, toilets, chairs, counter tops, computers etc. regularly.
- Staff and patrons must wash hands regularly as they may have cleaned or touched objects or surfaces such as door handles, hand rails etc. that may have been contaminated by staff or patrons.
H. ISOLATION FACILITY
- Provision of designated isolation areas in the facility
I. DISPOSAL OF CONTAMINATED WASTE
- Proper management and disposal of contaminated waste (used tissues, face mask etc) according to the guidelines of the Ministry of Health must be adhered to.
Approval will be by the issuance of a regular operational licence for Cinema/Theatre establishments and a provisional licence (in the case of premiering of a movie at any other venue) by the Ghana Tourism Authority.
K. MONITORING MECHANISM
The following modalities will be adopted to ensure the compliance of the operational guidelines;
- Mystery patrons
- Exit interviews with patrons
- Interactions with patrons
- Use of check list to monitor adherence to the operational guidelines
A team will conduct routine enforcement and when necessary seek the assistance of the Ghana Police Service.